Posted on Friday, March 10, 2017
Cadet medal application nominations will commence this coming week. If you are eligible and interested in being nominated, please submit a letter to the Commanding Officer, or an email through this website, outlining what you do outside of cadets in the areas of community service and fitness.
The selection criteria for medals:
Lord Strathcona Medal
The recipient must have a complete knowledge of the activities of the cadet movement and must meet the following requirements:
- have a high level of physical fitness;
- have qualified to a training level not below Level 3;
- have met all requirements of the squadron's mandatory program and attended at least 75 per cent of the scheduled training parades in the year of nomination;
- have met all requirements of the squadron's optional training program and participated in at least 50 per cent of scheduled activities in the year of nomination;
- have completed three years as a cadet; and
- be regarded by peers and supervisors as exemplifying the model cadet.
Royal Canadian Legion Cadet Medal of Excellence
The main objective in the awarding the RCL Cadet Medal of Excellence is to emphasize the citizenship aspects of the cadet program. To be eligible for consideration, a cadet must meet the following conditions:
- met all requirements of the squadron annual mandatory and optional training programs;
- participated in a minimum of three community service events, in addition to those supported by the cadet squadron;
- regarded by peers and superiors as exemplifying the model cadet; and
- enhanced the cadet squadron through:
> co-operation with peers and subordinates,
> promoting goodwill and morale with the squadron,
> aiding in the development of group identity and cohesiveness,
> supporting and assisting fellow unit members, and
> involvement in the local community.